BYLAWS OF THE ILLINOIS VALLEY FLYING CLUB, INC.
BY-LAWS APRIL 16, 1990
REVISED AUGUST 1, 2001
REVISED FEBRUARY 16, 2011
REVISED APRIL 5, 2012
REVISED FEBRUARY 17, 2021
ARTICLE I PURPOSE
ARTICLE II MEETINGS OF MEMBERS ARTICLE III VOTING RIGHTS
ARTICLE IV DIRECTORS
ARTICLE V OFFICERS
ARTICLE VI PRESIDENT ARTICLE VII VICE PRESIDENT ARTICLE VIII SECRETARY ARTICLE IX TREASURER
ARTICLE X AIRCRAFT MAINTENANCE OFFICER
ARTICLE XI VACANCIES
ARTICLE XII SAFETY BOARD ARTICLE XIII HEARINGS ARTICLE XIV MEMBERSHIP
ARTICLE XV MEMBER PAYMENTS ARTICLE XVI CLUB FINANCES ARTICLE XVII FLIGHT RULES
ARTICLE XVIII SURPLUS
ARTICLE XIX AMENDMENT
ARTICLE XX ACTIVITIES AND FUND RAISERS
ARTICLE I - PURPOSE
1. The purpose or purposes for which this Corporation is organized are educational; to promote, encourage, and educate its members in the art of flying, to encourage interest and to secure the advancement of aviation, to promote and educate its members on safety in the operation of aircraft and to engage in such activities as may accomplish the ends set forth.
ARTICLE II - MEETINGS OF MEMBERS
1. You will be notified of upcoming meetings and as to their time & place. All meetings of the members, except as herein otherwise provided, shall be held at a place to be determined by the President.
2. The annual meeting of the Club shall be the clubs yearly business meeting, with election of officers etc. It will be held the third week in February at such time and place as the Board of Directors shall determine.
3. Notice of the annual meeting of the members shall be given by written notice, mailed (or e-mailed) to each member at his last known place of business or residence at least ten (10) days before such annual meeting.
4. Special meetings of the members may be held at such time and place as the President may determine, or may be by a majority of the Directors or by written petition of at least forty percent (40%) of the active Charter and Equity Members in good standing. It shall be the duty of the Secretary to call such meetings within five (5) days after such demand.
5. Notice of special meeting of members, stating the time and in general terms the purpose thereof, shall be posted at the Illinois Valley Regional Airport. If a quorum shall be present at any gathering, any business may be transacted without previous notice.
6. A quorum is four (4) of the seven (7) officers or twenty percent (20%) of the voting membership.
7. The Board of Directors shall consist of the elected officers of the Flying Club: President, Vice President
Secretary, Treasurer, Aircraft Maintenance Officer and two (2) Directors at Large.
ARTICLE III - VOTING RIGHTS
1. Each active Charter or Equity Member in good standing (defined in Sec. XIV -2) is entitled to one vote which may be exercised in person or by written proxy. A written proxy may be revoked by the members attendance at the meeting. In the event of a tie vote, the President may cast an extra vote.
2. Amendments to the Articles of Incorporation of Illinois Valley Flying Club which do not affect the status of the corporation as a Not For Profit Corporation may be made by the Board of Directors acting without notice and without a vote of the Members.
ARTICLE IV - DIRECTORS
The Board of Directors of the Illinois Valley Flying Club consist of 7 members, as defined in ARTICLE II, PARAGRAPH 7. One Director at Large is to be the immediate past president of the club upon election of a new president for a minimum of 2 years, or until the next past president comes on the board. First on, first off. If no new past president is available after 2 years that director must be re-elected to the office yearly at the annual meeting. The second Director at Large is to be elected at the annual meeting yearly. In case of an even number of board members and a tie vote, the sitting president has the authority to break the tie.
1. The powers, business and property of the Club shall be exercised, conducted and controlled by a Board of Directors of seven (7) members.
2. Each Director / Officer shall be elected annually from the membership of the Club at the regular meeting of the members.
3. In case of a vacancy in the Board, the remaining Directors shall fill such vacancy by
appointment from the Club membership. If two (2) or more vacancies occur at any one time, they shall be filled by vote of the members at a meeting duly called.
4. Regular meetings of the Board of Directors shall be called at a time and place to be determined by the President.
5. Special meetings of the Board of Directors shall be at any time on the order of the President or on
the order of three (3) Directors. Four (4) Directors shall constitute a quorum of the Board at all meetings and a simple majority vote shall. be necessary to pass any resolution or authorize any act of the Club.
6. The Board of Directors shall cause a complete record to be kept of all its acts and proceedings, and present a full statement at the regular meeting of the members, showing in detail the condition of the affairs of the. Club.
7. The Board of Directors may assign to any member, any duty or office which the Board deems appropriate and necessary to the conduct of the Club and which is not otherwise expressly provided for in these bylaws.
8. The Board of Directors may engage salaried personnel from outside the Club membership to perform such services in behalf of the Club as the Board deems appropriate and necessary.
9. The Board of Directors shall have the power and authority to promulgate and enforce all rules and regulations pertaining to the use and operation of Club property and to do and perform or cause to be done and performed any and every act which the Club may lawfully do and perform.
ARTICLE V OFFICERS
1. The Executive Office of the Club shall have a President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer and an Aircraft Maintenance Officer.
2. The Board of Directors shall consist of the elected Officers of the Flying Club: President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, Aircraft Maintenance Officer and two Directors at Large.
ARTICLE VI - PRESIDENT
1. The President shall be the Chief Executive Officer of the Club. He shall preside at all meetings of the
Club and the Board of Directors. He may call any special meeting of the members of the Board of Directors and shall have, subject to the advice and control of the Directors, general charge of the business of the Club, and shall execute with the Secretary, in the name of the Club all certificates of membership, contracts and instruments other than checks which have been first approved by the Board of Directors.
2. All checks executed in the name of the Club shall be co-signed with the Treasurer by the President, or
Vice President in the President's absence.
ARTICLE VII - VICE PRESIDENT
1. The Vice President shall be vested with all the powers and shall perform the duties of the.
President in case of the absence or disability of the President.
2. The Vice President shall also perform such duties connected with the operation of the Club, as.
he may undertake at the suggestion of the President.
3. The Vice President shall be responsible for the planning and operation of the annual Fly-In Breakfast fund raiser .
ARTICLE VIII -SECRETARY
1. The secretary shall keep the minutes of all proceedings of the members and of the Board of Directors in books provided for that purpose. He shall attend to the giving and serving notices of all meetings of the members and of the Board of Directors and otherwise. He shall keep a proper membership book showing the name of each member of the Club, the book of bylaws, the Club Seal if any, and such other books and papers as the Board of Directors may direct. He shall execute with the President, in the name of the club, all certificates of memberships, contracts and instruments which have been first approved by the Board of Directors. In the absence or disability of the Treasurer and under the direction of the President, he shall execute in the name of the Club checks for expenditures authorized by the Board of Directors.
ARTICLE IX - TREASURER
1. The Treasurer shall co-sign with the President, in the name of the Club, all checks for the expenditures authorized by the Board of Directors. He shall receive and deposit all funds of the Club in the bank selected by the Board of Directors, which funds shall be paid out only by check as herein before provided. He shall also account
2. for all receipts, disbursements and balance on hand.
3. 2. The Treasurer will provide a monthly report of the financial status of the Club to the Board of Directors. and an annual report to every member.
4. 3. The Treasurer will inform the President on the first (1st) day of each month if any members are delinquent and notify him when such delinquency, plus any fines have been paid.
4. 4. The Treasurer shall perform all duties incident to the Office of the Treasurer, subject to the control of
5. the Board of Directors.
6. The Treasurer shall also perform such duties connected with the operation of the Club as he may undertake at the suggestion of the President.
ARTICLE X - AIRCRAFT MAINTENANCE OFFICER
1. The Aircraft Maintenance Officer is the only person authorized to perform the following articles of duties, and shall be responsible for maintaining the aircraft and current information in logbooks of the aircraft.
2. The Aircraft Maintenance Officer shall be responsible for ensuring the aircraft are maintained in proper operating condition, and that all inspections and required maintenance are scheduled IAW current regulations and. that all maintenance is performed by properly rated persons.
3. The Aircraft Maintenance Officer shall be responsible for all papers required to be in the aircraft and for the execution of all papers required upon the completion of inspections and repairs.
ARTICLE XI - VACANCIES
1. If any office, other than that of President, becomes vacant for any reason, the President shall appoint an interim successor until such time as the Board of Directors shall elect a successor from the membership who shall hold. office for the remainder of the unexpired term. If the Office of President becomes vacant, the Vice President shall become President and the Board of Directors shall elect a new Vice President from the membership.
ARTICLE XII -SAFETY BOARD
1. A safety Board shall be designated by the Board of Directors for each aircraft accident involving either a member of the Club, or any equipment belonging to the Club.
2. The Safety Board shall consist of any 2 members of the Club or any number so designated by the President who were not involved in the accident.
The Safety Board shall take all steps necessary to ascertain the facts, conditions and circumstances of the accident. They shall arrive at conclusions regarding the probable cause and the responsibility for said accident, and shall make known to the Board of Directors and to all parties involved in the accident, its findings in the form of a written report.
ARTICLE XIII- HEARINGS
1. The Board of Directors, upon receipt of the findings of the Safety Board, shall offer to all parties involved in the accident the opportunity of a hearing. After the hearing or if such hearing is waived by all the parties involved in the accident, the Board of Directors shall decide the financial responsibility. The decision of the Board of Directors shall be final.
2. The Board of Directors shall not impose financial responsibility on any one member in excess of One Thousand ($1000.00) dollars for any one accident, unless the damage results from a violation which is not covered by insurance carried on the aircraft, then the party responsible for the damage shall be liable for the full amount.
3. All financial obligations imposed on any member as a result of the decision of the Board of Directors shall be satisfied within thirty (30) days of written notice. Otherwise, all unsatisfied monies may be deducted from the membership fee, the remainder of which shall be returned to the member with a cancellation of membership in the Club.
ARTICLE XIV - MEMBERSHIP
1. All applications for membership shall be submitted to the membership committee for approval. The membership committee shall consist of two(2) Board of Directors. No person shall be excluded for race, religion or sex.
2. A member shall be considered to be in good standing provided that the member is not in arrears on any payments owed to the Club and that the membership has not been suspended or revoked.
3. The Board of Directors shall be authorized to initiate inactive status of any member upon member request. A minimum period of one year, unless waived by the board of directors, shall be imposed on any member becoming inactive.
4. A member may withdraw from the Club upon notification to the Secretary in writing. The Club shall have the first option to purchase the share of a member wishing to withdraw from the Club for $750, and the Club shall have sixty (60) days from the withdrawal notice to exercise this option. If the Club fails to exercise this option, the member may sell the membership to any person who meets the approval of the board of directors, provided that the membership is in good standing.
5. A member may be expelled by a majority vote of the members voting at any regular or special meeting of the members. Ten (10) days notice shall be given to each member who shall have the right to be heard either in person or by counsel at a meeting of the Club called for this purpose. A member so expelled may receive from the Club a sum equal to his/her initial membership of the Club less any monies, dues or fines owing to the Club.
6. In the event of the death of a member, the Club shall have the first option to purchase from the estate the member's equity in the Club. If a member wishes to name in his/her will a beneficiary of his/her share of the initial membership, the named beneficiary must be acceptable to the Club
7. Minor as Member
No person under the age 18 shall be admitted to membership unless he/she shall first present to the Club an indemnity agreement signed by his/her parent or guardian which shall read as follows:
"In consideration of my son, daughter and/or ward__________________________________(name)
Who is __________ years of age, being accepted for membership in the Illinois Valley Flying Club, Inc.
I hereby guarantee unconditionally his/her full and faithful performance of any and all obligations of
membership and particularly of the payment of any membership charges, fees or assessments, > and I
further agree to indemnify and hold harmless the Illinois Valley Flying Club, Inc., for any and all damage that may be done by my son, daughter and/or ward to any equipment or property belonging to the Illinois Valley Flying Club, Inc., or for any liability that may be incurred by the Illinois Valley Flying Club, Inc., by reason of the recklessness, personal negligence or carelessness of my son, daughter and/or ward including but not limited to legal expenses and costs incurred defending claims or in enforcing this agreement."
Parent Signature Date
8. Membership Options:
· Equity Member - The membership is cost $1000.
· Family Membership. The membership will cost $500.00, with a club option to purchase the membership for $250.00 (as in paragraph 4 above) of the first family member wishing to withdraw from the Club. The applicant must be sponsored by a Charter or Equity member and must be an immediate family member of the sponsor. Final decision to be made by unanimous vote of the Board of Directors.
· Membership Status. Upon receipt of written request, members may be put on inactive status for reasons of Military Service, Out of town school, etc. for a specific period of time. The dues and responsibilities during this time will be decided by the Board of Directors. An Honorary Status may be considered for Non-Pilot members for possible consideration in eliminating certain responsibilities in fund raisers etc. (Example: Fly-In Breakfast)
ARTICLE XV - MEMBER PAYMENTS
1. Dues. Each member shall be assessed yearly dues for the current amount, dues to be payable at or prior to the annual meeting February. The yearly dues may be changed from time to time at the discretion of the Board of Directors.
2. The hourly aircraft rates shall be determined by the Board of Directors and shall be posted at the airport.
3. All hourly aircraft rate charges shall be paid in accordance with the rules promulgated by the Board of Directors.
4. Hourly aircraft charges will be based on the Hobbs Meter. The time, pilot's name, date, and Hobbs reading shall be recorded.
5. Delinquency. Any member who has failed to pay the dues, hourly aircraft rate charges or any
other sum due the Club within specified time, shall be considered a delinquent member (not in good standing) and shall be automatically suspended from flying the Club aircraft and engaging in any other Club activity.
ARTICLE XVI - CLUB FINANCES
1. No member may authorize expenditures or otherwise incur financial obligations in the name of the Club except as expressly provided in these bylaws or other regulations duly promulgated by the Club membership.
2. The Treasurer is authorized to expend Club funds in payment for all normal fixed costs of the Club and all operating costs not in excess of Seven Hundred Fifty ($750.00) dollars
The Treasurer must obtain approval from the Board of Directors for any unusual expenditures and all expenditures in excess of Seven Hundred Fifty ($750.00) dollars.
3. The Maintenance Officer may authorize work on Club aircraft in an amount up to Seven Hundred Fifty ($750.00) dollars without seeking approval from the Board of Directors. The Maintenance Officer must consult with the Treasurer before authorizing any work to determine whether there are sufficient funds to pay for the work.
Individual members will be reimbursed for any personal expenditures not in excess of Two Hundred Fifty ($250.00) dollars when such expenditures are for club aircraft repairs or maintenance necessary to safely complete a trip back.
4. Individual members will be reimbursed for any personal expenditures not in excess of Two Hundred Fifty ($250.00) dollars when such expenditures are for club aircraft repairs or maintenance necessary to safely complete a trip back to Illinois Valley Regional Airport. The expenditures must be approved in advance by any Director.
ARTICLE XVII FLIGHT RULES
1. The Board of Directors shall develop, or cause to be developed, a set of rules to maintain the safe and efficient operation of the Club. The rules may take into consideration varying levels of members experience and proficiency and the type of aircraft to be flown.<
ARTICLE XVIII -SURPLUS
1. The net profits after all operating costs and other expenses have been paid shall remain in the Club's treasury for the purchase of new equipment, for engine overhaul, for contingencies or for the purpose of reducing the hourly rates for flying as shall be determined by the Board of Directors. In no case shall the net profits be distributed to the members for their individual use.
ARTICLE XIX - AMENDMENTS
1. These bylaws may be repealed or amended or new bylaws adopted at any meeting of the members.
called for that purpose or any regular meeting of the members by a two-thirds majority vote of Charter and Equity members in good standing present at the meeting.
2. Twenty percent (20%) of the Charter and Equity members in good standing shall be considered a quorum.
ARTICLE XX ACTIVITIES
1. Activities of the Illinois Valley Flying Club, Inc. are to be participated in by all members, with the exception of those on Leave of Absence or Honorary Status as decided by the Board of Directors.
ARTICLE XXI DISCLAIMER
Neither these bylaws nor any Illinois Valley Flying Club Rules shall alleviate the responsibility of any member to follow any Federal, State or Local regulation or law.
ILLINOIS VALLEY FLYING CLUB, INC. /p>
APRIL 16, 1990
Revised AUGUST 1, 2001
Revised FEBRUARY 16,2011
Revised APRIL 5, 2012
Revised FEBRUARY 17, 2021